El Paso County Celebrates New Arts Exhibition Partnership
El Paso County is hosting a reception on Friday, March 4 from 4:00-5:30 pm to celebrate a new partnership with Cottonwood Center for the Arts to provide rotating artwork for the walls of the Centennial Hall government building. We applaud the County for their support of local arts & culture, and hope to see you at the opening reception!
The Lantern Glow: A Cultural Festival of Lights
Saturday, May 7 at Pikes Peak International Raceway
Gates open 3pm, Lantern Release at 8:30 pm
Pikes Peak International Raceway is hosting The Lantern Glow: A Cultural Festival of Lights on Saturday, May 7 in partnership with the Cultural Office of the Pikes Peak Region, iHeart Media, and My 99.9FM. The event will highlight the meaning behind lantern festivals around the world and the rich arts and culture available in our own community. At previous events, there have been audiences of 8,000-12,000 people. Regional arts and cultural organizations are invited to participate for free and share information about their organizations with the community.
Opportunities for you to participate:
- Free booth space at the event to promote your group and provide fun activities for a family audience. (You must provide your own tables, chairs, tents, etc.)
- Paid positions during the event: parking, registration, sales
- Volunteers before and after the event: building lantern kits, picking up lanterns
- Performers to be featured on the main stage, programmed in partnership with My 99.9 FM.
This will be a stunning visual celebration. At nightfall, thousands of people will release their lanterns into the sky for the finale, creating an unforgettable moment! Some proceeds from this event will benefit the Cultural Office.
To learn more, contact Olivia Kirkpatrick.
Applause, please …
COPPeR shares exciting stories of success and impact from across the community on www.facebook.com/artsculturefun. Like us on Facebook and share YOUR success stories with us via e-mail at info@CulturalOffice.org.
- Congratulations to the US Air Force Academy cadets in the singing group “In the Stairwell” who will be heading to St. Louis on April 2 to compete in the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella semifinals!
- “Caw-gratulations” to Sally Hybl, recipient of the first Community Art Award (CAW) from UCCS and THEATREWORKS!
- COPPeR’s Director of Community Partnerships, Angela Seals, and her family were February Members of the Month at the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center.
- Kreuser Gallery is resurrecting the event ArtBar on March 24.
- Colorado’s newest literary journal has been founded right here in our region! The Almagre Review / La Revista Almagre is now accepting submissions for Issue 1:”Coming Home.” Submission info is at http://thealmagrereview.org/submission-guidelines.
Colorado Springs to be Branded as “Olympic City USA”
The City of Colorado Springs has recently unveiled plans to brand Colorado Springs as Olympic City USA, home to the U.S. Olympic Committee, Olympic Training Center, and soon, the new Olympic Museum. The Cultural Office is working closely with City leaders to ensure that arts & culture is integrated into this branding initiative.
Local Calls and Opportunities
- Entries for Fountain Valley School’s Athenaea Poetry Competition are DUE: March 1
- Arts Business Education Awards nominations are now available for the awards luncheon on April 20 at the Antlers
- Call for Artists: INTERSECTION public art initiative in Downtown Partnership, Colorado Springs. DEADLINE: March 8
- The Almagre Review / La Revista Almagre is now accepting submissions for Issue 1:”Coming Home.”
- The Pikes Peak Poet Laureate Project is now accepting applications for the 2016-2018 Poet Laureate position. DEADLINE: March 15
- Academy Art & Frame Company has a drop-off date of March 26 for Art Aloud 2016, an opportunity for writers, poets and artists to share their work, as well as collaborate, in appreciation of National Poetry Month.
- Rotary Club of Colorado Springs Flight program has issued their 2016 Call for Artists. Design concepts DEADLINE: March 23.