Each October, the Pikes Peak region celebrates Arts Month as a way to elevate the visibility and importance of arts & culture in our community. The official call to action during Arts Month is to “have at least one new cultural experience with family or friends during the month of October!” The starting point for everything Arts Month is PeakRadar.com/ArtsMonth!
Orchestrated annually by the Cultural Office of the Pikes Peak Region, our local Arts Month initiative coincides with National Arts & Humanities Month, which was established in 1985 and is observed every October throughout the United States. This national program was initiated to encourage Americans to explore new facets of the arts and humanities in their lives, and to begin a lifelong habit of participation in the arts and humanities. Over the past three decades, it has become the nation’s largest collective annual celebration of the arts. October 2014 was the first time that the Pikes Peak region joined in this national effort. Find out more about how you can get involved this year by visiting the Arts Month “Toolkit”.
A special thanks to the local sponsors who are supporting Arts Month 2018:
- PLATINUM SPONSORS: City of Colorado Springs, The Bloom Foundation, the Colorado Springs Convention and Visitors Bureau, UCCS Presents/Ent Center for the Arts
- GOLD SPONSORS: HEX Audio Visual, Wells Fargo, Tiemens Foundation
- SILVER SPONSORS: Ent Credit Union, Colorado Springs Independent
- BRONZE SPONSORS: Rotary Club of Downtown Colorado Springs
Locally, our Arts Month initiative takes the form of a coordinated marketing campaign in print, radio, television, billboards, banners, email, social media, etc. that is designed to raise awareness for the area’s creative community and showcase the many exciting arts & cultural events taking place across the Pikes Peak region during the month of October.
We always kickoff Arts Month with a free community party called the Artini! The 2018 Artini was held on Friday, September 28th from 5:30-8:30PM at The Mining Exchange — we’ll be taking over all of the hotel’s banquet rooms as well as the adjacent Gold Room! The following week, the Cultural Office will host our 11th annual Business & Arts Lunch at the Antlers Hotel on Friday, October 5th. Also, throughout the month of October, the ArtPOP program (produced in partnership with the Pikes Peak Arts Council) will feature 20 difference “pop-up” art performances and presentations at various locations throughout the community!
In 2018, we’ll continue to use a “themed” approach to marketing Arts Month, with a focus on different artistic genres during each of the four weeks in October (starting Monday, 10/1). The themes for each of the four weeks align with several of the category headers on PeakRadar.com (Week #1-Visual Arts; Week #2-Theatre & Film; Week #3-Poetry, Prose & Comedy; and Week #4-Music & Dance). Along with targeted advertising around these four themes, there will also be general marketing for the entire Arts Month brand, and for promotion (via the PeakRadar.com platform) of all of the arts & cultural programming happening during October. In addition to collaborating with artists, arts organizations, and other community partners, we’ll also work closely with our elected officials to recognize and promote the importance of Arts Month through formal public proclamations.
Here are a few ways that you can personally engage the Arts Month celebration:
- Visit PeakRadar.com, our community’s online calendar, to discover all the great cultural events happening during the month of October and throughout the year.
- If you plan to produce a cultural event or activity during Arts Month (or any time of year!), please list it on PeakRadar.com.
- Create links from your website and social media to PeakRadar.com/ArtsMonth.
- Download the Arts Month logo from Arts Month Toolkit and post/share it where ever you can.
- Participate in our Win Arts Month social media contests.
- Check out an ArtPOP performance.
- Use #ArtsOctober (with a public setting) to share your photos on the official Arts Month landing page.
- Share your inspiring or newsworthy Arts Month stories by emailing us at info@CulturalOffice.org.
- Encourage your friends, family and co-workers to learn more about Arts Month and find out how they can get involved at PeakRadar.com/ArtsMonth.
- Plan to have at least one new cultural experience with YOUR family or friends during the month of October!
“Arts Month is an opportunity for us to highlight the arts in the local media, to encourage broad-based participation in the arts, to provide an opportunity for local business, government and civic leaders to declare their support for the arts, and to generally raise public awareness about the essential role of arts & culture in our community,” said Andy Vick, executive director of the Cultural Office of the Pikes Peak Region.
Please follow this link for Arts Month in the News.
To learn more about how you and/or your organization can get involved in Arts Month 2018, or if you have any questions or suggestions, please contact Andy Vick at andy@CulturalOffice.org or 719-634-2204.