City for Champions Community Forum with the Arts
Tuesday, February 17 at 5:30 p.m.
Studio Bee at the Pikes Peak Center
(190 S. Cascade Ave.)
This February, as part of its ongoing series of monthly updates, City for Champions will host a community conversation about how this exciting initiative can and should interface with the Colorado Springs’ creative community, and how we all stand to benefit from a successful project. Speakers from the local arts community will include: David Dahlin, Lara Holman Garritano, Jon Khoury, Marta Lacombe, Nathan Newbrough, George Preston, David Siegel, and Andy Vick. Strong attendance will demonstrate that creatives are key stakeholders in our city’s future. Please plan to attend and help to spread the word!
Dreams & Visions: Recent Works by Allison Daniell
On exhibit starting February 6 at COPPeR
“Dreams & Visions is about the mystery and beauty that is found when we start looking past the things we see with our eyes towards the things we can only see with our souls.” – Allison Daniell. Click to learn more.
Call for Artists: Art on the Streets 2015-2016
Art on the Streets celebrates the power of art in public places, while turning the streets of Downtown Colorado Springs into a yearlong outdoor sculpture gallery. Visual artists are invited to apply for inclusion in the 17th annual Art on the Streets juried sculpture exhibition. The deadline to apply is Monday, February 16. Click here for details: http://www.downtowncs.com/
Fresh Updates on PeakRadar.com and the Peak Radar Picks E-Blast
We’re kicking off the new year with fresh updates to the region’s #1 arts and culture calendar, PeakRadar.com, and our popular Peak Radar Picks E-blast. On the website, you’ll soon find a new configuration of categories to help you connect with the hottest events happening across the region:
- Theatre & Film
- Visual Arts
- Music & Dance
- Poetry, Prose & Comedy
- Special Events
- History & Heritage
- Sports & Recreation
- Classes & Workshops
- Family Fun
- Search by Region
The Peak Radar Picks E-blast has also been gussied up with a clean, modern look you’ll find easier to read on a variety of devices. Already, our click rate has doubled! If you haven’t opened the Picks E-blast lately, we invite you to take a peek this Wednesday and use it to plan your weekend. To subscribe, click here.
Hospitality Summit Rescheduled for February
This past year, COPPeR established an exciting new relationship with the Pikes Peak Lodging Association (PPLA) to help grow cultural tourism by sharing more information about the arts with our region’s hospitality sector. Did you know that every week we assemble highlights from events listed on PeakRadar.com to create the “Peak Radar Lodging Picks” which is then distributed through PPLA to hotels throughout the region? Check it out here! This weekly program will continue in 2015.
COPPeR encourages members of our creative community to register for the PPLA’s Hospitality Summit at the Broadmoor Golf Club, now rescheduled for Thursday, February 5 from 6:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. Click here for details.
Applause, please …
COPPeR celebrates accomplishments in our creative community regularly on our Facebook page – and there is always so much to celebrate! Stay up on inspiring stories like these by liking us on Facebook today:
January was a HUGE month for arts news:
- Commonwheel Artist Co-op celebrated their 40th anniversary year with a feature in the Colorado Springs Business Journal:http://csbj.com/2014/12/31/
commonwheel-celebrates-40- years/ (1/1)
- The internationally-renowned artistChristo won an important legal victory toward his dream of transforming 6 miles of the Arkansas river with silver fabric, a project he has envisioned since the 1990s.http://m.gazette.com/artist-
christos-river-project-gets- federal-ok/article/1543972 (1/ 3)
- Local theater powerhousesTHEATREWORKS, Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center andSprings Ensemble Theater won accolades from the Theater Colorado blog: http://theatercolorado.
blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/bills- best-of-2014.html?m=1 (1/3)
- Imagination Celebration tossed art and science into their innovative blender to concoct a Mini Fruitcake Toss for kids inspired by the beloved Manitou Springs Fruitcake Toss. http://gazette.com/
science-art-fun-combine-in- mini-fruitcake-toss-in- colorado-springs/article/ 1543991 (1/4)
- The Mural Project of Colorado Springs and artist Carole Morrison of AHA Gallery unveiled a new mural in support of Coats 4 Canines. (1/9)
- The National Endowment for the Arts published 3 exciting new studies that were picked up by news outlets across the country, most notably announcing that arts and cultural production contribute more than $698 Billion to the U.S. economy! http://arts.gov/news/
2015/surprising-findings- three-new-nea-reports-arts# sthash.bTAbv525.dpf (1/13)
- Peak Alliance for a Sustainable Future hosted the first Sustainability Breakfast of the year, focusing on the state of arts and culture in our community. Speakers were Natalie Johnson of Manitou Art Center, Daisy McConnell of UCCS Galleries of Contemporary Art, and Andy Vick from COPPeR. (1/14)
- Cottonwood Center for the Arts‘ Executive Director Jon Khoury made the cover of The Independent with an in-depth, memorable interview.http://www.csindy.com/
coloradosprings/a-brash-new- yorker-has-imbued-cottonwood- center-for-the-arts-with- energy-ambition-and-andmdash- a-little-weirdly-andmdash- love/Content?oid=2988178 (1/ 14)
- The Pikes Peak Arts Council and Tracy Miller Gallery collaborated with Lamar Outdoor Advertisting to put up billboards promoting local artists around town. http://gazette.com/blog-
local-artists-make-it-big-on- billboards/article/1544724# 7qk83H0dULlMBvCk.99 (1/16)
- The Colorado Springs Conservatory hosted the Colorado Springs Regional Business Alliance’s monthly “Business After Hours” event at the Mezzanine.(1/22)
- The Arts District program on Rocky Mountain PBS featured the Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center’s current exhibition Continuance, on the Jan. 22 episode. (1/22)
- Jorden Smith won the Mayor’s Young Leader Award for Creative Industry for his work with A Positive Note at the Colorado Springs Conservatory. (1/22)
- A new study from the National Endowment for the Arts ranked Colorado No. 1 in trips to arts attendance!http://www.
denverpost.com/news/ci_ 27392774/colorado-ranks-no-1- when-it-comes-theater?source= infinite (1/26)
- The Funky Little Theater Company, a new star in the sky of our local theater scene, opened their new performance space in the Old North End with their second production, Afflicted, which runs Jan. 22-Feb. 7. (1/29)
Nominations Due for Governor’s Creative Leadership Awards
Colorado Creative Industries is accepting nominations for the 2015 Governor’s Creative Leadership Awards. Let’s nominate some of the amazing artists and arts organizations that make the Pikes Peak region hum with creativity! The deadline to nominate has been extended to February 13 at 4 p.m. Learn more here: http://www.